Sunday, July 3, 2011

Exercise is "most valuable thing you can do for your health after 60"

Have this idea about a book on getting and staying in shape after the age of 60 and am looking around to see what is available on the topic.

In the Hartsville YMCA this afternoon I asked one of our local MDs if he was familiar with research or articles on the subject. As I began to explain what I was thinking about a possible book or series of articles he may have contributed the first paragraph of this book>

"After 60, the most valuable thing you can do for yourself and your health is exercise," he said. Now, if I were beginning the book I might have to go back to him for the exact quote but the the power of his exclamation when thinking about this topic says I am in the exact frame from which he was coming.

Some days I am anxious to open the Y doors and other days it takes power of persuasion to head in that direction but the result is that when I have worked out -- even when the workout is not 'high quality' I know I am better for having expended the energy and expanded lots of capacities inside this body that might not be as young as it used to be.

So, I am going to spend a little time on the research side and I am going to set down a goal of getting a lot of ideas of the hows and what's of exercise after 60 while giving some example of the Why as I get some of those who are 'hard at it' telling a little of their stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment