Thursday, February 14, 2008

Habit vs Decision

Teaching nights - from 5:30 to 8:00 makes a mess of my normal workout schedule. Being lazy has been wreaking havoc with my normal morning walks. Instead of popping out of bed when my lids lift at 4:55 a.m. I consciously slam the lids, roll back under the covers and try hard to fall back to sleep.

Those are not good things because it is not my imagination that the pants are fitting more snugly than a month ago and those times when I do darken the Y's doors are proving harder and harder to lift what was routine only a few weeks back. Take last night, for example. I was dumb bell benching and the first set of 12 at 55 per almost stopped me from doing a second set. While I did fluctuate the weight from 45 to 55, and I did get one set of eight at 60 lbs, it was a struggle.

So, yesterday I did get in the second workout in a row this week. Worked some chest, some abs, back and triceps. The aerobic workout was on one of the machines at 30 minutes -- a little over 300 calories, a lot of sweat but probably could have worked harder.

Today's blog is a way of trying to move my mind to the frame that I stop at the Y instead of passing by after class this evening. That is not a decision that is easy because when I leave that night speech class I am pretty worn out. We'll see what happens.

I am hoping the fact that I have given up sweets for lent may help me get back to regular exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment