Saturday, February 23, 2008

Race today kicked my butt...

The Sonoco Credit Union sponsored 5K run/walk hosted by the Cross Country Team at Coker and the Cobra Club was a lot of fun. The organizers are tying to increase the interest in running and they had teams from several of the area's elementary schools in competition. It was a blast to see them competing and I am sure North Hartsville Elementary is happy that they ran away with the trophy. The Coker connection with the community is strengthened significantly with an event like today's race.

I am a walker. Turns out I am becoming a pretty slow walker. I finished first today in the overall walk but my time was about 37:23. That is my slowest competitive time. I DESERVED that time because my miles have been down of late, my lifting has been sporadic of late and I was far from my best condition. The sort of scary thing is how much this slow time is still causing a lack of energy about six hours after the race. I am used to soreness and being tired for an hour or so but the lack of a quicker recovery is shouting to me that I need to get back to more regular exercise and quit turing over in the mornings for an extra hour of sleep.

Clyde Weaver was running again today. I have told him he is my running hero. Clyde is moving into his eighties, he has fought off a couple of heart attacks and he is still pounding the pavement. He is a true example of a life-long exerciser. And, for any of you who are thinking running is for the young, the race today was run by a guy who is 42. Okay, to me that is YOUNG but his time was 17 something-- that is moving at any age.

Finally, these races can't be run without a lot of volunteers. So, thank you, to all of those who were volunteering. The Strictly Running race team did a great job with the set up and it was pretty much a perfect moring for a race and from children in strollers to eighty-year + runners, it was a great morning; but it is still kicking my butt.

No comments:

Post a Comment