Thursday, January 30, 2020

In it together...

One of the interesting dynamics of working out with others instead of by yourself in the gym is the energy that seems to generate and be there for the taking.  I know that is voodoo sounding but today was a case in point.

Bootfit is a class that has been devised by Robbie McLendon at the Hartsville YMCA and it has the benefit of a substantial history of helping people develop successful workout habits.  It is also tough so it has a history of people who found their bodies might not be equipped for the constant mixing and matching of muscle groups. That disclaimer now in writing this is another suggestion for those who have not tried working out with others, or high intensity work outs to sample a few of the Bootfit classes.  They work.

Back to today, Thursday, and the noon class. We start at 12:15. My goal was to start and hope to finish but with no certainty at the beginning. The challenge was a 20 minute AMRAP (as many reps as possible) and the individual exercises were designed to move the heart rate and stress a couple of different muscle groups.  30 side straddle hops; 20 back extensions; 10 v-ups; 5 clapping push ups.

Back to today -- some kind of ear problem is giving me a struggle and after the first two reps I was not sure if I would keep going. But a glance at others made my self talk urge another try. I as the breaths came harder I felt energy from somewhere and moved through the air sucking to rep after rep exercise after exercise.  Had I been on my own it likely would have been an abbreviated attempt. Having the virtual push from the others helped me log a work out that kept the heart rate up, and the muscles stressed. When my energy seemed gone there was energy in the field to keep me going. The ages in these bootfit workout are wide ranging and that mix of ages is another selling point for those wanting to add some diversity, complexity and challenge to the workout regime.

If you find yourself doing the same thing day by day you might reward yourself with a three to five day commitment to try Hartsville Y Bootfit and see if you might move from your current plateau.


Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sports, basketball court, shoes and indoorImage may contain: one or more people, people playing sports, basketball court and shoes
I think there were six of us in th noon class and the number of reps ranged from about 15 to eight.





No comments:

Post a Comment